Thursday 11 October 2012

My target audience profile

The target audience for my short film is teenagers, specifically ones between the ages of 16-18. I understand there may be a broader audience due to the genre of my film having a very dedicated following. With regards to cinema audience types, I would target the impressionable socialites and youth of today.
The age of my target audience means I will aim it at the C2, D and E brackets on the audience demographics scale. To ensure my film reaches these people, I would have it scheduled on a channel aimed predominantly at the teenage market such as E4. For wider distribution, a cinema of the multiplex variety would be most appropriate and likely the most effective due to teenagers preference towards this style of screening as opposed to smaller, arthouse cinemas. This form of distribution may not be fully attainable, in which case a website dedicated to showcasing short films may be the most appropriate and easiest way to achieve a wider viewing audience.
One example of this is the BBC Film Network site - http://www.bbc.co.uk/filmnetwork/
Blog post on audience demogaphics - http://oliviashearinga2media.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/audience-demographics-for-benefit-of.html

*UPDATE*
After revising my idea, I feel I will now be able to target a wider audience by appealing to fans of films with similar character types such as Twilight, and TV programmes like The Vampire Diaries, as well as fans of the horror genre as a whole. I also believe my film will have more chance of being shown through a wider distribution method due to my potentially increased audience.
The target age demographic and audience type of my short film remains the same however.

No comments:

Post a Comment